Powered by Blogger.

When The Kids Get Sick

Worrying about the kids’ health whenever they get sick makes a parent, especially a Mom, paranoid and at the same time stressed. It has an effect on almost everything including work. However, the children come first. Besides, they are the reason of that “everything”.

I have not been around for a while. I missed a lot of things and blog opportunities already. Also, I have withdrawn my first salary from Odesk already which went to the hospital bill and medicine expenses of my toddler. No, please do not get me wrong about hospital bill, she was not admitted. We just have to bring her to the emergency room for faster accommodation and quickly rule out Dengue. I am glad she did not have Dengue; it was Tonsillitis, which caused her high fever. She was already okay after low-grade fever last Thursday due to viral infection, but last Sunday was different. She became irritable and too sensitive. No one can hold her but Mommy.
I had to leave her for a while at my parents-in-laws’ care while Keanna & I looked where we can borrow a nebulizer, bought medicines and attended a birthday. Roey was okay, and was active when we left. I was just informed through a text message that she suddenly had high fever, her eyes were a bit sore, she kept sneezing, which causes tears to run down her cheeks even if she was not crying. I was already hesitant to leave her but I did not want to bring her along too. My conscience is bugging me. I should have just asked her father to buy the medicines instead. I should have stayed by her side at home. We should have not gone to the party. We went there still just as not to disappoint my elder daughter. She has had a little too many disappointments lately. Things and my decisions went wrong that day. I have learned a lesson. Roey has mild Pneumonia and a possible Primary Complex Infection. Has to take her antibiotics for 10 days and cough medicines for 5 days. She will have a repeat X-Ray after ten days to check if she really has Primary Kochi Infection. I am really hoping she does not have any. I know that it can be treated, for 6 months that is, but what is hard is having her take the medicines on a daily basis. We had to go through it with her big sister twice before.

On the other hand, when my kids show cold symptoms, I really do not give them any medications at once. Serving them with fruit juices and lots of water is what I do normally. In most cases too, I use Saline nose drops or spray so as to help thin and remove mucus and let them breathe in comfort. I do not rely on medicines instantly for anything even for myself. I always have in mind that all medications have side effects especially to children. Another reason why I do not want to go through a 6 months long medication, in case Roey has Primary Complex is the fear of accidental overdose. These medicines have too many ingredients, yet not everyone has all the symptoms and same level of illness severity. I have seen the hesitation in giving the antibiotics in the eyes of the on-duty doctor at the emergency room last Monday. My MIL accompanied me and was the one who mentioned about giving Roey antibiotics. The physician gave a bit of a sigh, signed the prescription and explained the reason why he had to give the antibiotics.

Roey is getting better now. No more fever. But still, I'm having a hard time feeding her. She became a lot more closer to barney though.

It is definitely hard when the kids get sick especially if they do not have any health insurance. Health benefits are what I liked about my previous employments. We do not have to worry about shelling out money for consultation fees and the medical expenses are reimbursable too. Oh, am I missing the regular job prior to being a freelancer? I could be, but I am not giving up yet. I know I will do good as a freelancer. I can earn the same amount of money I was earning before and afford getting my kids the health insurance they deserve. Having said that… let me go back to work. LoL!




5 comments:

Din's Fashion September 24, 2011 at 9:11 AM  

aw poor baby! but as long as she's in pink, right! hahah

Lovingly Mama September 24, 2011 at 9:11 AM  

sis visit mo din pink potty ko. thanks po! :D

Ken September 24, 2011 at 3:49 PM  

Hi Stef :) I hope she's getting better by now..I'm worried and running all over the house when my kids get sick..

btw, i'm stopping by from Pink Fridays :)

Willa @ SmartMommy September 25, 2011 at 11:12 AM  

I hope she's better now. I think Primary Complex is the lowest form of TB, or something like it, I hope maagapan agad.

Jessica September 26, 2011 at 6:59 AM  

poor baby girl, hope she feels better soon, how is she now Mommy? she still looks cute even she is not feeling well :-), visiting for PF, hope you can visit me back here too

http://www.jessysadventure.com/2011/09/ice-skating-on-her-pink-snow-coat-and-pants.html

Share

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP